Do you want to watch videos, movies or play your favourite iOS games on your TV? Here are the 4 best techniques to display the content of your iPad or iPhone.
Table of Contents
Connect iPhone To TV Via Lightning Digital AV Adapter
The Lightning AV digital adapter (€ 49) is the easiest way to connect your iPhone to your TV. Note that if you choose this option, you will also need an HDMI cable, which you can find on Apple.fr and Amazon.fr.
This adapter has an HDMI output for connection to the TV, a Lightning port to connect your iPhone / iPad and an input port to charge your device at the same time.
Connect Your iPhone To Your TV In Practice
First of all, make sure your television has an HDMI output. Often televisions have several, you will see on the side or on the back: HDMI 1, HDMI 2, 3, 4, the choice of one or the other does not matter.
- Connect your HDMI cable to the output you have chosen on your TV. Then connect the other end to the Lightning adapter.
- Connect the adapter to the port on your iPhone or iPad.
- If you want to charge your device at the same time, then connect your cable to the input port of the adapter.
Now turn on your TV, and using your remote control, select the HDMI output you chose in step 1.
The home screen of your iPhone will then appear on your TV. Image quality may be worse, don’t worry, it doesn’t last.
You are ready! Select your video from your iPhone. Note that all video applications can be used, such as Netflix, Youtube, Dailymotion, France TV, 6play, myCANAL….
The home screen of your device now gives way to your HD video (High Definition).
If you are using an iPad, then the message “Connected TV” will appear.
To go to the control centre, slide your finger to the left and choose the video output that will display the desired content on your TV, for example, AirPlay.
Connect An iPhone To A TV Via AirPlay
With the AirPlay function, you can also use the Apple TV, this time it’s a connection between your iPhone / iPad and your wireless TV!
To do this, you need to connect your Apple TV to your TV via an HDMI port and connect your smartphone and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
Choose the appropriate entry and verify that its welcome screen appears.
Also Read: Artificial Intelligence Reshapes Management
As soon as you are ready, follow these 5 steps
- Launch a video, via Safari or any other video application.
- Display the control centre of your iPhone. To do this, simply slide your finger from bottom to top (a swipe up ) on your screen.
- On the first page of the control centre, select Apple TV.
- Close the control centre, then press Play to watch your video.
- You will find the AirPlay function in the list of your applications.
Note that some video applications, such as canal or ARTE, have their own AirPlay function. To watch ARTE for example, open its application, select Airplay, then Apple TV and voila!
Watch Photos And Videos On Your TV
You may not be able to watch streaming videos from an application or the Internet on TV. Indeed, only developers determine the video applications that will be compatible with AirPlay.
To get around this, nothing is better than the so-called mirroring technique, it is a reproduction of the screen and all the content of your smartphone on your television.
- Go to the control centre, select AirPlay, then Apple TV.
- To see all your photos and videos on your TV: open the Photo application and tap Share. Choose the photos by tapping each one until a blue circle with a white arrow appears.
- Select AirPlay and press Apple TV, your photos will appear on your TV screen. To move from one photo to another, simply slide your finger to the left or right.
- It is also possible to scroll them automatically, like a slideshow. Go back to Share, select your photos as before, press Slideshow, then Apple TV.
- Then, by selecting Transitions you can customize your slideshow.
- If you want to add music, unlock your screen and then select the Music option.
- Now proceed to your musical choice. To do this, choose the song, album or playlist, drag it, it will automatically appear in the control centre. Select AirPlay, then Apple TV, that’s it, your photo slideshow with the musical background is ready!
Apple AV Composite Cable
If you have a 30-pin iPhone or iPad (first-generation iPad, iPhone 4s, etc.) then your best option is the AV composite cable.
This cable works the same as the Digital Lightning AV adapter explained above. However, you will need the composite video input (video signal) from your TV and not from HDMI.
Your videos must also be of SD (Standard Definition) quality, HD not being compatible.